Inside an STD Clinic (Sexually transmitted disease Clinic)
Do you suspect that are suffering from an STD? Or do you suspect that you might have come in contact with one who does?
If the answer to the above question is a yes then the first thing you should do is to visit the nearest std clinic in your area for a checkup.
Please read the below FAQ’s on STD.
What is a sexually transmitted disease?
An STD (sexually transmitted disease) is a disease that typically spreads by having sex or sexual intercourse with someone who has an STD.
How do you get an STD?
An STD can typically spread by having fluid exchange that can occur through the contact of private parts or oral mucosa. What this in principle means an STD can spread if you come in contact with the other persons saliva, vaginal secretion, anus or penis and its secretion.
How do you know if you have an STD?
What is very interesting to know is that, sometimes STD’s can be very silent and completely without any symptoms. But if you have the following symptoms, I suggest you make haste and visit your doctor at the earliest
- Presence of any ulcers, bumps, sores near the anus, penis, vagina or mouth
- Any redness or swelling near the penis or the vagina
- Any rash appearing anywhere in the body
- A burning sensation during urination
- High fever, an increase in night sweats and/or loss of weight
- Uncontrolled loose stools
- Severe itching on the penis or vagina
- Bleeding from the penis or vagina
- Any discharge from the penis or vagina that has a foul smell
What are all the sexually transmitted disease?
The list below contains the commonly seen STD’s in our clinic
- Herpes simplex infections or genital warts
- Condyloma acuminata
- Bacterial Vaginosis
Is an STD Curable?
Most bacterial STD’s can be cured with antibiotics, its the viral ones which create problems. However what is important to understand is that even viral STD’s and its associated infections can be suitably controlled or treated so that you can lead a better quality of life
A few tips for you when visiting an STD Clinic
There are a few things that you should do first and also bear in mind when visiting an STD clinic
(1) Appointment – make sure that you have contacted the right clinic to have an appointment in a minimum of 24 hours to have an organized visit.
(2) Past tests and examinations – if you have any of past tests or examinations it would be good to bring it along for reference in your diagnosis.
(3) Special situations – make sure to inform the medical practitioner of any special situations you are in right now; if you are pregnant or you have a current disease or even if you are in current relationship, etc. in order to address your situations in the proper and safe manner. What is very important to bear in mind is that…
IF YOU ARE IN A STEADY RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE YOU SHOULD RECOMMEND HIM OR HER TO UNDERGO STD TESTING AT THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE DATE
When you find yourself in a STD clinic, certain procedures will be conducted and performed on you during your appointment. First your doctor will perform a thorough physical examination along with an in depth clinical history..
Laboratory works will be the second in line; this will normally include collection of urine, feces, discharge, and swab around the genitals.
After getting the results from the laboratory, interpretation of the results will be next in order to diagnose your current suspected disease or problem
A Large array of STDs is available for testing in a STD clinic, some of which are gonorrhea, syphilis, Chlamydia, genital warts, AIDS, HIV, etc.
STD clinics do not only limit themselves in testing as well, STD clinics also offer contraceptive services and counseling on health issues.
Upon arriving to the clinic, registration will be your first step in the reception desk, you will be asked to fill-up a registration form with all the information they need to prepare your case notes, it would be better to have your previous notes and exam results as a basis upon filling up the registration. During consultation, honesty is the best attitude to arrive with a quick and correct diagnosis and also a n effective solution, it is also essential that you mention any medical histories as well.
Some questions may be very personal but know that this is essential to determine your situation.
Be very honest and transparent with your healthcare provider! Lastly do not forget to visit a healthcare provider who is trained in STD management!.
Visiting a STD clinic is usually associated with a number of reasons, and these may include:
(1) signs and symptoms of sexually transmitted disease has been bothering you lately.
2) You sexual partner was diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease or have noticed symptoms of STD in his/her body.
(3) If you suspect that you had a sexual encounter with an infected person.
To conclude, just remember that a good STD clinic will not judge or intimidate you in anyway. Be transparent and be open with your doctor about your problem and he will definitely help you find a solution to it.
And wishing you a very happy and prosperous and love filled life
Meet Dr. Shah at the Male Infertility & Sexual health Clinic
Dr. Shah is Consultant Andrologist and Sexologist in Chennai. His passion for helping men facing infertility issues stems from the fact that “Men never ever get the care they deserve as far as fertility treatments is concerned”